On behalf of our client Jamaican Medical Cannabis Collective, JMCC
, Caribbean HR Solutions is soliciting candidates to apply for the following role:
Tissue Culture Manager
The Tissue Culture Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of micropropagation for JMCC. This includes media preparation, initiating cultures, maintaining the mother block, transfers and multiplication, rooting, record keeping, cleaning the laboratory, and equipment maintenance. The Tissue Culture Manager will lead and supervise a team of technicians to accomplish these tasks.
The ideal individual is highly motivated and can grow into this role with support from our highly experienced team. He/She must demonstrate the intellectual capacity to solve complex problems, develop and optimize processes for the business, and contribute to our R&D efforts as we work to remain innovative. Ideally this individual has a record of academic, research, and practical experiences, personal accountability and can maintain a positive outlook through challenging times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Tissue Culture Lab with primary oversight responsibilities including – Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), initiation of new plant varieties, production planning, media preparation, sterilization, tracking plants, and all facility logistics;
- Lead tissue culture and micropropagation methodologies for large scale production in accordance with industry regulations and certification requirements;
- Develop, standardize, and optimize all technical processes within the operation;
- Support internal R&D efforts;
- Manage the entire tissue culture process and maintain accurate records;
- Provide training and oversight to new technicians;
- Ensure all employees are operating safely and following all company health and safety standards;
- Serve as safety coordinator and primary lab emergency contact;
- Do the weekly production schedule/planning;
- Ensure that the laboratory is kept in a clean and good operating condition, including working with outside vendors as needed;
- Track and organize preventative maintenance, calibration, and any troubleshooting of equipment;
- In collaboration with other team members, develop, update, and maintain accurate protocols for tissue culture process;
- Attend required meetings and participate in team and professional development activities;
- Communicate effectively both written and orally and demonstrate a sense of timeliness;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Though we appreciate all candidates, only those shortlisted will be contacted.
- Master’s level degree or higher in plant sciences, molecular biology, or agriculture, or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience is required;
- Experience working in a greenhouse or tissue culture lab will be an asset;
- Experience in managing a team or group of people;
- Practical and theoretical experience in aseptic technique, plant tissue culture, Organogenesis and Somatic Embryogenesis micro-propagation techniques;
- Experience working in a commercial biotechnology laboratory preferred; previous experience in Cannabis is preferred;
- Proficiency with common Windows computer programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), cloud-based electronic notebook software and platforms like Google suite (Mail, Docs, sheets and drive) and Outlook mail;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including ability to train and work with operational staff in the greenhouse;
- Experience in horticulture, plant biology, and genetics would be an asset;
- Knowledge about plants and plant products regulations and certification requirements.